Monday, May 25, 2020

Some of The Saddest Films You will have ever seen

Some of The Saddest Films You will have ever seen.


These are some of the saddest films I have ever seen.
I will not include films like Dead Poets Society, Good Will Hunting or One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest because they aren’t really suitable for this list (they had some scenes that made us cry and thats all). I will list films that maintain the sad atmosphere throughout their runtime.
Requiem for a Dream/Pi/The Fountain - This film destroyed me. It the most depressing film I have ever seen and believe me I have seen all of them. Some people will not be able to complete it. A flat out masterpiece from Aronofsky. The other two films are from the same director.
Memento - Most of the people think it is Nolan’s first film. This film proved that you do not need big stars and budget to make a spectacular film. You need to have a good script first.
The Turin Horse - A film by Bela Tarr. This film has one of the best longest takes I have ever seen (there are many long takes in this film). This may be dry for those who are not used to watching artistic films but every single frame of this film is absolutely beautiful.
Grave of the Fireflies - Story of a brother and sister who are trying to survive during the war. Sad from beginning to end. I never thought an animated film would make me cry.
Hachiko - Watch it when you are ready because you are going to cry rivers. I wish I had a dog.
Au Hasard Balthazar - Story of a mistreated Donkey.
The Green Mile - You can’t miss any film that has Tom Hanks in it. This film made me want to slap the director. Why did you do that? Why in the god’s name would you do that?
Pan’s Labyrinth - My favourite foreign film. Guillermo Del Toro’s masterpiece. One of the best fantasy films of all time, period.
The Road - A Father and son trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. There is not a single happy moment in this film.
Mary and Max - If you think clay animation can’t make you cry then you are wrong. It is a brilliant claymation from Australia.
Prisoners/Incendies - Both the films are from the same director (Dennis Villeneuve). He is yet to make a bad film.
Oldboy - Brutal, sad, amazing. Park chan knows how to make a film artistic as well as entertaining. The twist ending will haunt you for days and months.
Million Dollar Baby - I did not expect this film to end in the way it did. truly heartbreaking.
Come and See - Please stop making war based films. They make me cry.
Brokeback Mountain - Sad that people remember Heath Ledger for his performance in TDK only. This performance was equally amazing.
Synecdoche, New York - One of the best acting performances of Hoffman.
Saving Private Ryan - No words for this movie. The opening sequence is the best scene in the history of war based films (with Apocalypse Now).
Schindler’s List - Liam Neeson and Spielberg come together to make you cry.
Dogville/Dance in the Dark/Melancholia - Von Trier is a great director and Dogville is his masterpiece. It is a study of human behaviour. One of my favourites. Dancer in the dark though emotionally manipulative, is another film from Trier that will make you cry.
Ikiru - A film by one of the greatest directors of all time. It is about a man who discovers he has cancer and decides to live his life to the fullest. All hail Akira Kurosawa.
A Monster Calls - I have read the Novel by Patrick Ness and the film was equally amazing. So, if you need to watch this film, by god you watch it.
Irreversible - A film by Gasper Noe. It is one of the most depressing films you will ever watch. The infamous rape scene will haunt you. the camera work in the beginning will give you a headache and make you feel dizzy.
Pather Panchali - The best Indian film I have ever seen.
Mother India - Another Indian masterpiece.
12 Years a Slave - No wonder it got the Oscar.
The Pursuit of Happiness - my favourite Will Smith film.
Room - It features a power packed performance by Brie Larson. I absolutely loved it.
Short Term 12 - Another film starring Brie Larson.
Tokyo Story - A Japanese drama about the value of a family. I think we Indians need to watch it because we are forgetting our values.
I will keep updating the list as I remember more names.

No comments:

Post a Comment